Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Blueberry Rhubard Spoon Bread Recipe

When it comes to groceries, I live to save money. I have 6 daycare mouths to feed each day, PLUS my family of 4. One of the most expensive parts of my budget is fresh fruits and vegetables.  Luckily for me, there are a few veggies that I can grow well in my garden. My freezer is probably wondering just WHO is going to eat all those yellow beans!
Another super cost-effective strategy for us is to go to U-pick farms in our area and stock up the freezer with fresh fruits grown locally. I’ve been picking blueberries at a local farm since I was about 10. I personally love blueberries, but once they are frozen, they can lose some of their former sweetness. My darling daughter had the nerve to groan one day when I said we were making blueberry pancakes! “Agaaaaain?” Complete with an eye roll! lol I thought maybe I needed to branch out in my recipe cards a little.  So I went digging. I came across this recipe in a slow cooker cookbook I had recently borrowed from a friend, and it was official! This would be tomorrow’s afternoon snack at daycare.
I had some rhubarb frozen in the deep freezer which had been donated to the daycare by my grandfather. I thawed it out and had the kids help me chop it up in chunks, about 1 inch long.
In a large mixing bowl, we combined blueberries, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon and orange juice.  Set this bowl aside while mixing the cornbread mixture.
In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. My kids LOVE to take turns holding the mixer. May be the only time of day they voluntarily share??? Add cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add eggs one at a time, mix until well blended. Stir in vanilla. Spread batter over bottom of greased stoneware. Spoon berry mixture over the top.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours, until batter is browning along the edges.
The recipe suggests to serve over ice cream, but that’s not exactly daycare approved, unfortunately.  So we ate it at daycare in a bowl with a dollop of whipped cream on top. It was delicious!!  (I re-heated it the next day in the microwave, and served to my family on ice cream. YUM!!)
Made 8 servings.
Because we picked our own blueberries, and the rhubarb was free, this recipe cost me less than $3.00 to make!
Recipe:
2 cups blueberries
2 cups chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup sugar
Juice of 1 orange (I used 2 TBS of orange juice)
Bread Mixture:
1 cup cornmeal
1  1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Thank you very much, Stephanie from Bargain Bakers for the wonderful recipe, it sounds and looks delicious!
Website: Bargain Bakers
Facebook: Bargain Bakers

No comments:

Post a Comment