Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Homemade Apple Sauce

Guest blog post from Stephanie @ Bargain Bakers
I started writing my Christmas list a couple days ago. Thoughts of Christmas foods and smells started to trickle into my head as I tried to concentrate. I finally gave in and started my morning mission, making my house smell oh so good. Hmmm apple pie maybe? No, that’s really daddy’s favorite, not mine. Oh, chocolate chip cookies! Well, just a couple days after Halloween, chocolate is really the last thing I need, or want to see right now. Something healthier……….hmmmmmm.
Opened the refrigerator. The biggest thing in there was the large bag of apples I had bought through my daughter’s school. Apple sauce!! Smells good, healthy, meets the food and beverage guide lines for daycare. Perfect :)
So I decided to make my applesauce journey a daycare activity, because we all know that many hands make light work, no matter how big or small the hands are.
We selected 6 big red apples from my stash, 6 Macintosh and 6 Cortland.
I got the little table for the kids, peeled the apples and sliced them into 4 or 5 pieces. I gave child a butter knife and they helped chop their apples.
We placed all out chopped apple into a medium sized pot.
Added one cup of water, 1/4 cup of white sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
I brought the pot to a boil, and then simmered uncovered for just over half an hour. Stir often.
And stir and stir and stir while it cooks. I used a metal slotted spoon to stir mine. Because I used 2 different types of apples, their cooking time was different. I just kept cooking until all the apples in the pot were done.
If it does not stir down to a mush you will either have to mash with a potato masher, or use my grandmother’s trick, the electric mixer. Simply whip them for a few seconds on high speed with the electric mixer, voila! Warm, homemade apple sauce that makes your kitchen smell AMAZING!! Enjoy!

Thanks again Stephanie for an AWESOME recipe! I will be trying this one this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment